Make your own weighted doll (Instructions)Dec 01, 2022
We created this short Instagram Reel to show you how easy is to make a weighted baby doll. Trigger Warning you will see a doll disassembled .
View this post on Instagram
Here are some general steps you can follow to make your own weighted demo doll for babywearing consultations: Just remember you can be as creative with this as you like:
- Gather materials: You will need a doll or stuffed animal approximately the same size and weight as a newborn or young infant and materials to use as weights. Some options for weights include rice, beans, or small pellets, which can be placed in a small bag or pouch. You will also need a sewing kit and other materials to attach the weights to the doll or stuffed animal.
- Determine the weight you want to achieve: It is important to ensure that the weighted demo doll is similar to an actual newborn or young infant so that it accurately represents the weight and feel of a real baby when worn in a carrier. You can use a kitchen scale to determine your doll's or stuffed animal's weight and then add weights until it is approximately the same weight as a newborn or young infant.
- Attach the weights to the doll or stuffed animal: You can attach the weights to the doll or stuffed animal. One option is to sew small pouches filled with weights directly onto the doll or stuffed animal. Another option is to use velcro or other fasteners to attach the weights to the doll or stuffed animal. Ensure the weights are evenly distributed and do not cause the doll or stuffed animal to become too top-heavy.
- Test the weighted demo doll: Once you have attached the weights to the doll or stuffed animal, it is important to ensure that it accurately represents the weight and feel of a real baby when worn in a carrier. You can do this by wearing the demo doll in various carriers and adjusting the weights until it feels comfortable and natural to carry.
- Use the weighted demo doll in your consultations: Once you have completed the above steps, you can use your weighted demo doll in your babywearing consultations to help demonstrate different carrying positions and techniques to clients. You can also use it to help clients get a sense of the weight and feel of a real baby when worn in a carrier, which can help them make an informed decision about which carrier is right for them.