We have attempted to answer the most common questions coming our way. If you do not see the answer to your question please send us an email. We like emails!
Do you offer an online Foundations Training?
While we do offer online learning opportunities, we believe that hand over hand learning is an important component of our core class. By working with each trainee in person, we can represent, with confidence, that all Trained Babywearing Consultants have been held to the same standard of learning.
How long is the training class?
Our Foundations course provides 30 hours of training time over four days. The exact schedule will vary based on the individual needs of each class.
Can I bring a child to class?
Our Foundations course is 30 hours of intensive professional training. Feedback from past graduates has been that by the later days of class, children become overwhelmed and frustrated. While we do allow infants 6 months and under to attend with their caregiver, you must be able to perform each carry with a demonstration doll and your skills assessment must be performed with a demonstration doll. We encourage you to consider childcare, if possible, so that you and your fellow attendees can focus completely on the coursework. We are happy to allow a caregiver to bring your baby to nurse or have a bottle, and we will also have prescheduled breaks and lunch for time with your little one. Our goal is to make sure that you and your classmates get the absolute most from your time with us.
What are the materials that are included in the cost?
Included in the cost of each class are several items:
- A knot-learning shawl. This is not a baby carrier but instead a great tool for learning and teaching how to tie knots. You will likely use this frequently over the years.
- Your manual. This is a great reference tool and will hopefully be something you refer to as needed. Our bibliography has over 75 unique references, the majority of which are from the last 5 years, and can be a great asset to you if you want to research something directly.
- Professional quality teaching aids. This is new as of July 2013. Based on feedback from our graduates we are now including a set of teaching aids that you will be able to take home with you. This will save you the time of creating the visual aids yourself and the hassle of getting them professionally laminated. We want each of our consultants to be able to begin consulting straight away and believe this will eliminate one of the largest hurdles.
Do you 'certify' your consultants?
As we wait for an industry-wide accepted certification, yes we do 'certify' those graduates of our program who complete the additional steps required. We have an outlined set of parameters that must be met in order to qualify for the 'certification.' After these conditions are met then the trainee is considered 'Certified.'
What does your 'certification' entail?
We feel there are a few components that are necessary to consider a consultant competent to be 'certified.'
There are 6 steps that must be successfully completed.
- Completing all Pre-class homework.
- The "Consultation Concept" must be developed and finished by review time during the last day of class.
- You must show mastery of teaching technique for 15 carrying positions, plus knots during the "group skills assessment."
- Successful completion of the final quiz at end of class.
- Obtaining liability Insurance coverage as described in your Handbook.
- Obtaining a valid AHA CPR card
Do you offer continuing education?
Yes. We offer a range of ongoing education opportunities that we consider to be beneficial to developing and expanding your baby wearing consulting practice. We will add additional continuing education opportunities as we partner with the people and companies who we find have valuable resources that can assist our consultants. As always, as we develop these classes our graduates will have the opportunity to be involved in the "beta testing" for free or low cost. Plus they will have a voice in how the classes develop.
Do you promote mentor-ship within your organization?
Yes we do! We believe mentor-ship to be a hallmark tenet of laying the foundation for a new career or industry, such as babywearing consulting. Those who are paving the way in babywearing consulting have valuable experience and information. We are hopeful that they will share openly and honestly with those who are just entering the field. To that end we encourage mentor-ship and guidance within our organization and will help facilitate that as needed.
Why do you teach a proper cradle carry?
Yes our consultants will know how to do, and teach, a proper cradle carry. Experience has taught us that here in the USA there is a section of our population who believes that this is the best way to carry a baby. We tried to teach them to carry their babies differently and lost many of them in the process. Knowing how to do a proper cradle carry means that when confronted with the parent/grandparent/caregiver who insists that is the way they want to carry their child you will be able to assist them, talk about best practice and hopefully gain their trust in the meantime. We have also seen that, while rare, there are times when a tummy-to-tummy position is impossible for whatever reason. We want our consultants to be the best prepared for whatever they encounter and feel that this knowledge and experience helps them to be very well-rounded in their practice.
Does your trainer work with new families and parents?
Yes. Joanna continues to work with new families and parents on a regular basis. She enjoys the consultation experience as well as the opportunity to teach baby wearing classes to the community. She feels this experience is important and helps her to maintain a sense of the evolving parenting scene. Which in turn helps her to be a better trainer.
How do I choose a training course?
We understand you have a choice in your trainings and we thank you for considering us. We get asked often about how to choose a class. Here is what we have to offer and hope that it will help you:
- Decide what is your goal for the training? What do you hope to achieve from the training? What are you hoping to do with your training?
- Consider factors that are important to you, perhaps things like: cost, location, timing, or any other such parameter that would influence your decision.
- Talk to references. Of course you can ask any of the businesses for references and we will all happily provide you with one. Granted you can be sure they will be positive. :-) So you might consider asking around and talking privately with others who have trained with any business you are considering.
- Schedule a quick call with those business you are considering for your training. Luckily our industry is filled with amazing people so I am pretty sure anyone would be happy to answer any questions, concerns, or thoughts you may have regarding their training.
Why don't you sell carriers?
We decided it was in our best interest, and the interest of those who train with us, that we not be involved in the selling of any baby carriers or related products. We wanted those participants we train to know that we are 100% about sharing our experiences and teaching from our heart. No worries that we are keeping our best secrets to ourselves, no worries we are pushing particular products to line our own pockets. We can easily see how what you sell can influence your teaching so we wanted to step away from that impulse. We have laid into our business foundation processes that protect us from the undue influence of outside commercial interests. We like to call ourselves the "Switzerland" of babywearing training, we choose no sides... gotta have a sense of humor!
Don't forget: We like email! Feel free to ask any questions we didn't cover!